New contract helps Sens avoid arbitration
Chara, who was paid $2.4 million last season, will make $4.6 million in 2004-05 and $4.9 million in 2005-06. An arbitration hearing had been scheduled for Wednesday.
The 6-foot-9, 260-pound Chara was runner-up to the Devils' Scott Niedermayer for the Norris Trophy last season after scoring a career-high 16 goals and recording 41 points.
He was acquired from the Islanders before the 2001 season, with Bill Muckalt and the second overall draft pick, for Alexei Yashin. He was the Islanders' third-round pick, 56th overall, in the 1996 entry draft.
Chara will play for Slovakia in the World Cup of Hockey, Aug. 30-Sept. 14.
Copyright 2004 by The Associated Press
MORE NHL HEADLINES
- Vanek helping authorities in federal probe
- Leafs hire analytics guru Dubas as asst. GM
- Stars agree to four-year deal with Roussel
- Ducks bring back Vatanen on 2-year deal
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- The Highland Mint Boston Bruins Zdeno Chára Bronze Coin Panoramic Photo Mint