Berard won the Calder Trophy in 1996-97
Berard had 13 goals and 34 assists in 58 games for the Blackhawks last season.
"Bryan's points-per-game was second best in the NHL last season among defensemen," Blackhawks general manager Bob Pulford said. "The power play is a vital part of the game today and an area where Bryan excels, it was important for us to get him under contract."
Terms of the deal were not disclosed.
Berard, the Calder Trophy winner in 1996-97 and member of the 1998 U.S. Olympic team, missed the entire 2000-01 season with an eye injury. In March 2000, Berard was struck in the left eye by Marian Hossa's stick while playing for Toronto. He made his comeback with the New York Rangers in 2001, and played for the Bruins before signing with Chicago in 2003.
He has 59 goals and 207 assists in 510 NHL games.
Copyright 2004 by The Associated Press
MORE NHL HEADLINES
- Bruins add NHL vet Sacco to coaching staff
- Eller agrees to 4-year deal with Canadiens
- Avalanche announce 2-year deal for O'Reilly
- Islanders, Poulin agree to one-year contract
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Trademark Games Chicago Blackhawks Padded Swivel Bar Stool with Back