Star and father will own part of Swedish team
ORNSKOLDSVIK, Sweden -- Peter Forsberg will help finance a $23 million hockey arena in his northern Swedish hometown, his father Kent said Friday.
Forsberg, who grew up playing for local team Modo before becoming a superstar in the NHL with the Colorado Avalanche, will own 40 percent of the new arena along with his father, according to a news release. The Modo club, which will have the 6,500-seat arena as its new home ice, will own the other 60 percent.
"For me, and especially for Peter, it has always felt natural to help realize the arena of the future and secure the future of hockey in Ornskoldsvik," Kent Forsberg said at a news conference.
The new arena, which has yet to be named, is scheduled to be completed in 2006.
Forsberg has said he will likely play for Modo next season if the NHL players go on strike.
Ornskoldsvik, a seaport with some 31,000 people, is located halfway between the Swedish capital Stockholm and the Arctic Circle. The town has produced a wealth of hockey talents, including Vancouver Canucks stars Markus Naslund and twins Daniel and Henrik Sedin.
Forsberg was the 2003 NHL MVP, and has been one of the most popular athletes in Sweden ever since he scored the winning penalty shot against Canada in the 1994 Olympic Games at Lillehammer, Norway.
It is not the first time he has poured money into promoting his hometown. Last summer, he opened a $5 million golf course on what used to be an agricultural college outside Ornskoldsvik.
Forsberg will spearhead a Team Sweden squad that takes on archrival Finland in the World Cup Saturday.
Copyright 2004 by The Associated Press
MORE NHL HEADLINES
- Vanek helping authorities in federal probe
- Leafs hire analytics guru Dubas as asst. GM
- Stars agree to four-year deal with Roussel
- Ducks bring back Vatanen on 2-year deal