NHL veteran opts for stint in minors
McAmmond is the second former NHL player to sign an AHL contract with New Jersey. Pascal Rheaume also agreed to a minor-league deal this summer, before the NHL season was put in jeopardy by an owner's lockout.
McAmmond had 17 goals and 13 assists in 64 games with the Calgary Flames last season. The 31-year-old forward has 135 goals and 192 assists in 645 NHL games with Chicago, Edmonton, Philadelphia, Calgary and Colorado.
The 22nd pick in the 1991 draft, McAmmond has spent most of his NHL career with Edmonton, playing in 303 games from 1993-99.
Copyright 2004 by The Associated Press
MORE NHL HEADLINES
- Ducks drop Canucks in OT to complete rally
- Devils GM Lamoriello to help behind bench
- Predators waive Roy, assign Stalberg to AHL
- Devils' Elias, Ryder diagnosed with mumps
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Old Time Hockey Men's New Jersey Devils Red Dodger Hoodie