Defenseman Hamrlik signs with Flames
Terms of the deal weren't released.
Hamrlik spent last season with the New York Islanders, scoring seven goals with 22 assists in 81 games.
The Flames have been aggressive since the NHL reopened for business following the lockout.
General manager and coach Darryl Sutter has locked up core players such as captain Jarome Iginla, goalie Miikka Kiprusoff with multiyear deals while adding high caliber free agents like Tony Amonte and Darren McCarty.
Hamrlik was chosen first overall by the Tampa Bay Lightning in the 1992 draft.
He spent four seasons with the Islanders, following 5½ seasons with the Lightning and 2½ with the Edmonton Oilers.
In 873 career NHL games, he has 117 goals, 324 assists and 985 penalty minutes.
Copyright 2005 by The Associated Press
MORE NHL HEADLINES
- Avalanche announce 2-year deal for O'Reilly
- Kreider, Rangers able to avoid arbitration
- Free agent Sarich injured in cycling accident
- Vanek helping authorities in federal probe
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Antigua Men's New York Islanders Leader Royal Quarter-Zip Pullover Jacket