Crosby's true nickname ... Darryl?
Less than two days before making his NHL debut, Penguins phenom Sidney Crosby was able to joke a little with the media.
Crosby has already donned the nicknames Sid The Kid and The Next One, but he revealed to reporters his true nickname Monday.
"Not too many guys know about it now, but when I was in junior, my first exhibition game I got eight points, and [Hall of Famer] Darryl Sittler got 10 in the NHL [in a game in 1976], so they just said 'Darryl' and it kind of stuck the last couple of years," Crosby told The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. "That's how nicknames come, in funny ways like that."
Apparently, teammates have noticed "Darryl" on the cuff of Crosby's gloves, a space where some players inscribe their nicknames.
MORE NHL HEADLINES
- Avs goalie Varlamov has charges dropped
- Capitals' Ovechkin scores 400th career goal
- Vanek lifts Islanders past slumping Rangers
- Rinne's recovery from hip infection delayed
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Old Time Hockey Men's Pittsburgh Penguins Evgeni Malkin #71 Black Knit Hat