Ward to take over goal while Gerber recovers
Gerber left in the second period of a 5-2 loss to Tampa Bay on Wednesday night with a pulled muscle near his left hip. Ward replaced him for the final period and now gets his first NHL start in Carolina's home opener against Mario Lemieux, Sidney Crosby and the Penguins.
"I think obviously this is a great opportunity," Ward said after practice Thursday. "It's an opportunity to make my first NHL start against one of the greatest players ever."
Gerber came to the Hurricanes in a trade from Anaheim in June 2004 and missed some of training camp with a sore back.
Copyright 2005 by The Associated Press
MORE NHL HEADLINES
- Reimer agrees to two-year deal with Leafs
- Bruins add NHL vet Sacco to coaching staff
- Eller agrees to 4-year deal with Canadiens
- Avalanche announce 2-year deal for O'Reilly
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Carolina Hurricanes Puck Mat