Yzerman could return to lineup Friday
Steve Yzerman will not skate Tuesday and might return to the lineup Friday after re-aggravating a groin injury over the weekend.
"I don't know if it was because we played a few nights earlier or if he stretched it out too much, but he has a slight, slight pull of the groin," Red Wings coach Mike Babcock told Detroit-area newspapers on Monday. "But I don't think it's going to keep him out that long. But the bottom line for us is we'd like him to be as healthy as he can so he can play."
Yzerman has played in only two games so far this season and has no points and one shot on goal in that span.
Even without their captain, the Red Wings have fared well, leading the league with 23 goals.
The 40-year-old Yzerman leads all active players in scoring with 1,721 points (678 goals, 1,043 assists).
MORE NHL HEADLINES
- Avs goalie Varlamov has charges dropped
- Sharks star rookie Hertl likely out a month
- Gaborik breaks collarbone in 1st game back
- Predators rookie Jones hit in face with puck
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Reebok Men's Detroit Red Wings Henrik Zetterberg #40 Player Replica T-Shirt