Bertuzzi hasn't faced Avs since Moore incident

Updated: October 21, 2005, 7:12 PM ET
Associated Press

VANCOUVER, British Columbia -- Todd Bertuzzi insists he's looking forward to Saturday's game against Colorado but doesn't want to talk about the last time they played.

Right Wing
Vancouver Canucks

Profile
2006 SEASON STATISTICS
GM G A PTS +/- PIM
8 2 4 6 2.000 17.000

On the eve of Vancouver's first game against Colorado since his blindside punch left Avalanche forward Steve Moore with broken bones in his neck more than 19 months ago, the Vancouver Canucks player refused to talk about the attack.

"I've discussed it before, and this team is moving on and I'm moving on and we're just concentrating on the game tomorrow and the two points we need," Bertuzzi said after practice Friday. "It's a team we've always had spirited rivalries with. They're exciting games to play in."

Bertuzzi, who was suspended for 17 months but missed only 20 NHL games because of the lockout that wiped out the 2004-05 season, has discussed the March 8, 2004, attack publicly three times.

The first came during a tearful apology two days after the incident. The second was when he pleaded guilty to assault causing bodily harm in a Vancouver courtroom nine months later. Part of his probation includes a stipulation he not play in any game against Moore, who still suffers post-concussion symptoms and hasn't been cleared to resume playing.

The third came in August, when he was invited to take part in Team Canada Olympic orientation camp.

Since then, Bertuzzi has dealt with questions about the attack by either changing the subject or simply walking away.

"I'm coming out to play hockey the way we play hockey and the score is the only thing that really matters, and that's what we're focused on," Bertuzzi said Friday.


Copyright 2005 by The Associated Press

ALSO SEE