Senators' Chara suspended, coach Murray fined
NEW YORK -- The NHL suspended Ottawa's Zdeno Chara for one game Saturday and fined coach Bryan Murray $10,000 for Chara's fight during a game against Los Angeles.
Chara scuffled with Kings defenseman Tim Gleason in the Senators' 5-1 win on Friday night.
The 6-foot-9 Chara was given an instigating penalty, a fighting major, a misconduct and a game misconduct for the incident at 16:39 of the third period. NHL rules state that a player who is an instigator of an altercation in the final 5 minutes of regulation or overtime will receive an automatic one-game suspension and the player's coach will be fined.
Chara will miss Monday's rescheduled game at Florida.
Copyright 2005 by The Associated Press
MORE NHL HEADLINES
- Bruins add NHL vet Sacco to coaching staff
- Eller agrees to 4-year deal with Canadiens
- Avalanche announce 2-year deal for O'Reilly
- Islanders, Poulin agree to one-year contract
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Reebok Soft-Touch Men's Boston Bruins Zdeno Chara #33 Player Replica Gold T-Shirt