Islanders sign Bates to three-year extension
New York Islanders
The 30-year-old was slated for unrestricted free agency July 1 and had attracted interest from other teams ahead of Thursday's trade deadline.
"I've loved my four seasons with the Islanders. This is where I really developed as a player," Bates said.
He entered Monday's game against Washington with 11 goals and 11 assists in 43 games this season. He left Boston and signed with the Islanders as a free agent in the summer of 2001.
"We were happy to get a long-term deal done," Islanders general manager Mike Milbury said. "Shawn is the kind of versatile and dedicated player that every team in the NHL wants."
Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press
MORE NHL HEADLINES
- Avs goalie Varlamov has charges dropped
- Capitals' Ovechkin scores 400th career goal
- Vanek lifts Islanders past slumping Rangers
- Rinne's recovery from hip infection delayed
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Party Animal New York Islanders Applique Banner Flag