Demitra to have surgery for nasal fracture
During the Winter Olympics, Demitra took a puck to the face while representing Slovakia. He has been suffering from breathing difficulties.
The procedure is scheduled to be done by Dr. Chester Griffiths, a member of the team's medical staff. The team gave no timetable for Demitra's return.
The loss of Demitra, 31, is another setback for the Kings, who have been having trouble scoring as they pursue a postseason berth. Los Angeles has not scored more than three goals in any of its 10 games since the break.
The Kings fired coach Andy Murray on Tuesday and replaced him with John Torchetti. They are 37-28-5 with 79 points.
In his 12th NHL season and first with the Kings, Demitra has 22 goals, 35 assists and a team-best plus-21 rating. In his career, the three-time All-Star has 238 tallies and 576 points with Ottawa, St. Louis and Los Angeles.
MORE NHL HEADLINES
- Canes captain Staal has core muscle surgery
- Wild re-sign winger Fontaine to 2-year deal
- Frolik remains with Jets, agrees to 1-year deal
- Tatar agrees to 3-year deal with Red Wings
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Reebok Men's Los Angeles Kings Drew Doughty #8 Home Black Premier Jersey