Pens will wait till next season to re-retire Mario's No. 66
Lemieux retired Jan. 24 due to an irregular heartbeat and other reasons.
At the time, Lemieux asked the team to keep his second farewell low-key, so the Penguins planned to formally raise his jersey to the rafters of Mellon Arena at some point this season.
But the team has pushed any such ceremony back to next season so Lemieux has more time to recover from the surgery he had to correct the heartbeat problem -- and to give the team more time to promote and sell tickets to the event.
Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press
MORE NHL HEADLINES
- Iginla's 2 goals give Bruins 8th straight win
- Bishop gets 31st win to set Lightning record
- Canadiens storm back to down Sens in OT
- Read, Flyers shut out short-handed Penguins
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Old Time Hockey Men's Pittsburgh Penguins Slicked Charcoal/Black Flex Fit Hat