Wallets thrashed: Kovalchuk, Exelby fined $2,500
Exelby knocked Tyler Arnason out of the game with a hard head-high hit that left the Senators' center dazed midway through the second period of Atlanta's 6-4 loss at Ottawa on Monday night.
Kovalchuk slashed Senators winger Chris Neil across the right forearm after Neil lifted his stick before the ensuing faceoff. Kovalchuk received a two-minute penalty, though Neil said Tuesday he believed Kovalchuk should be suspended.
"I'd definitely be disciplined if the roles were changed around," Neil said in Ottawa. "I'd have got a five-game suspension."
Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press
MORE NHL HEADLINES
- Jagr passes Yzerman as Devils beat Sens
- Steen, Blues agree to 3-year, $17.4M extension
- Wild put Harding on IR to work on MS meds
- Lucic softens: Still proud of Vancouver roots
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Old Time Hockey Men's Winnipeg Jets Mitch Navy T-Shirt