Ovechkin hits vaunted 50-goal, 100-point plateau
- AP Photo/Gregory SmithOvechkin (left) celebrated his historic goal with teammate Steve Eminger.
Ovechkin picked up his 52nd assist in the second period, setting up a power-play goal for Dainius Zubrus with a perfect cross-ice pass.
Teemu Selanne was the first rookie to reach the double milestone. He set first-year records that still stand with 76 goals and 132 points for the Winnipeg Jets -- now the Phoenix Coyotes -- in 1992-93.
With three games remaining after Thursday, Ovechkin had no chance of breaking either of Selanne's records. But he was just three goals behind Mike Bossy, who had 53 for the New York Islanders in 1977-78 to rank second on the rookie list. Joe Nieuwendyk had 51 goals in his rookie season.
With his 101st and 102nd points, Ovechkin broke a fifth-place tie with Mario Lemeiux on the rookie list and pulled even with four-place Joe Juneau, who scored 102 in 1992-93. The only rookies to score more points were Selanne, Peter Stastny (109 in 1980-81) and Dale Hawerchuk (103 in 1981-82).
Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press
MORE NHL HEADLINES
- GMs debate OT rules, goalies, video replay
- Kings F Nolan suspended 1 game for punch
- Avs' Stastny out against Jets with sore back
- Rangers' Lundqvist wins 300th, blanks Wings
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Reebok Men's Washington Capitals Alex Ovechkin #8 Player Replica Red T-Shirt
- NHL Home
- Carolina Hurricanes
- Columbus B. Jackets
- New Jersey Devils
- New York Islanders
- New York Rangers
- Philadelphia Flyers
- Pittsburgh Penguins
- Washington Capitals
- Boston Bruins
- Buffalo Sabres
- Detroit Red Wings
- Florida Panthers
- Montreal Canadiens
- Ottawa Senators
- Tampa Bay Lightning
- Toronto Maple Leafs