NAPANEE, Ontario -- A former NHL agent who was the target of a
murder-for-hire plot by one of his players was freed on $10,000
bail Wednesday and proclaimed himself not guilty of charges that
he sexually exploited a group of teens.
"Innocent," said David Frost as he was led from the courthouse
and into his lawyer's car after a brief court appearance.
"You have a nice day," he said before the car sped off.
Frost represented former St. Louis Blues forward Mike Danton,
who's currently serving a 7½-year sentence in a New Jersey prison
for his role in a $10,000 plot to kill Frost, also his Canadian
youth hockey coach.
Frost has been charged with 12 counts of sexual exploitation
and one count of assault, all related to alleged incidents from
1995 to 2001 involving four boys and three girls between the ages
of 14 and 16. The charges follow a two-year investigation by the
Criminal Investigations Branch of the Ontario Provincial Police.
Police would not reveal if the alleged teen victims were
involved in hockey, nor would they provide any further details of
the incidents, which police say took place in the Deseronto and
Napanee area west of Kingston.
Frost was freed on the condition that he report to police once a
week and that he not have any contact with a specified list of
individuals. He's scheduled to appear in court again Sept. 19.
Frost has previously been banned by the Ontario Hockey
Association and suspended by the Metropolitan Toronto Hockey
At a news conference Wednesday, Danton's father, Steve
Jefferson, said he has long feared Frost had far too much influence
over his estranged son.
Jefferson described the events surrounding Frost and his son as
an "emotional roller-coaster."
He blames Frost for his estrangement with his son and said the
former agent is an "animal" who belongs in jail. Jefferson said
he hopes the charges against Frost help his son to better
understand his former agent.