Canucks claim goaltending prospect Sabourin
Sabourin, the AHL goalie of the year last season, was being sent down by the Penguins despite a 1.85 goals-against average and 95.7 save percentage in his only preseason appearance, a 44-save shootout loss to Buffalo.
Sabourin is expected to back up Roberto Luongo in Vancouver.
Sabourin, originally picked by Calgary in the fourth round of the 1998 NHL draft, is winless in five career NHL games with the Flames and Penguins, posting a 4.42 goals-against and 82.5 save percentage.
The 26-year-old was a first-team AHL all-star with a 30-14-4 record, 92.2 save percentage and 2.26 goals-against for Wilkes-Barre/Scranton last season and started ahead of Fleury in six of 11 playoff games.
Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press
MORE NHL HEADLINES
- Vanek helping authorities in federal probe
- Leafs hire analytics guru Dubas as asst. GM
- Rangers, Zuccarello avoid arbitration with deal
- Stars agree to four-year deal with Roussel
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- The Highland Mint Pittsburgh Penguins Evgeni Malkin Bronze Coin Panoramic Photo Mint