Rangers' Shanahan is 15th NHL player with 600 goals
Shanahan electrified the Madison Square Garden fans in the second period with a breakaway goal that gave New York a 3-1 lead in its season opener against Washington.
He reached the milestone in more typical fashion, putting a puck in from in front of the net during a delayed-penalty call at 2:58 of the third.
Shanahan joined the Rangers this summer after a long stint with the Detroit Red Wings that produced three Stanley Cup titles. The 37-year-old left wing signed a one-year deal worth $4 million after scoring 40 goals and 81 points in his final season in Hockeytown.
In 1,351 NHL games, Shanahan has 634 assists.
Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press
MORE NHL HEADLINES
- Ovechkin nets 4 to key Caps to SO victory
- Rangers' Callahan (knee) to miss 4-6 weeks
- Bruins prevail in Iginla's return to Calgary
- Bettman: Players learning how to hit safely
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- New Era Men's New York Rangers Black/White 59Fifty Fitted Hat