Rangers' Shanahan is 15th NHL player with 600 goals
Shanahan electrified the Madison Square Garden fans in the second period with a breakaway goal that gave New York a 3-1 lead in its season opener against Washington.
He reached the milestone in more typical fashion, putting a puck in from in front of the net during a delayed-penalty call at 2:58 of the third.
Shanahan joined the Rangers this summer after a long stint with the Detroit Red Wings that produced three Stanley Cup titles. The 37-year-old left wing signed a one-year deal worth $4 million after scoring 40 goals and 81 points in his final season in Hockeytown.
In 1,351 NHL games, Shanahan has 634 assists.
Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press
MORE NHL HEADLINES
- Peverley gets standing ovation at Stars game
- Penguins' Neal diagnosed with concussion
- Backstrom to get silver medal despite drug test
- Lundqvist ties Richter for Rangers' win record
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Reebok Men's New York Rangers Reversible Center Ice Collection Player Knit Hat