Flames-Avs game postponed because of blizzard
No makeup date was immediately set.
"We have been in close consultation with the National Hockey League and the city of Denver and all parties realized that this was the best course of action given the current conditions," said Paul Andrews, executive vice president of Kroenke Sports, the owner of the Avalanche.
"The safety of our season ticket holders and all our fans and employees was the primary concern," he said.
Wednesday night's NBA game in Denver between the Nuggets and the Phoenix Suns was also postponed because of the storm, which shut down Denver International Airport and several major highways and stranded thousands of travelers.
Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press
MORE NHL HEADLINES
- Avs goalie Varlamov has charges dropped
- Capitals' Ovechkin scores 400th career goal
- Vanek lifts Islanders past slumping Rangers
- Rinne's recovery from hip infection delayed
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- GameWear Colorado Avalanche Classic Bracelet