Roberts waives no-trade, dealt to Pens for Welch
PITTSBURGH -- Veteran left wing Gary Roberts has waived his no-trade clause with the Florida Panthers and has been traded to the Pittsburgh Penguins for defenseman Noah Welch, ESPN.com's Scott Burnside reported Tuesday.
Roberts' agent Richard Curran previously told The Associated Press that Roberts had waived his no-trade clause.
Penguins officials did not immediately return calls for comment, the AP reported.
Roberts has 421 goals and 451 assists in 1,127 career games with Calgary, Carolina, Toronto and Florida. Roberts has played in 108 games since last season with 27 goals and 47 assists and is plus-9 during that span.
Plagued by injury recently, Roberts has 29 points in 50 games with the Panthers this season.
Roberts was the 12th overall pick in the 1984 draft, the same draft in which the Penguins selected Mario Lemieux first overall. He broke into the NHL in the 1986-87 season playing five games with the Flames, and became a full-time player the next season.
Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
MORE NHL HEADLINES
- Wings' Howard hurts knee; Zetterberg to IR
- Sens' Cowen docked 2 games for blow to head
- Rangers' Callahan (knee) to miss 4-6 weeks
- Bettman: Players learning how to hit safely
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
NHL TRADE DEADLINE
The NHL broke all of its deadline trade records last season with 25 deals putting 40 players on the move. This season hasn't been as busy, but teams aren't sitting on their hands either. Here's the deadline action:
• Trade Tracker: Take a look at all the deals
• Oilers send Smyth to Isles
• Sharks get Guerin from Blues
• Wings acquire Bertuzzi from Panthers
• Roberts waives no-trade, goes to Pens
• Pens add enforcer Laraque from Coyotes
• Kings send captain Norstrom to Stars
• Veteran Perreault traded to Leafs
• Sabres deal Biron, add Caps' Zubrus for stretch
• Avs deal vet May, get Parker from Sharks
- Old Time Hockey Men's Florida Panthers Mitch Red T-Shirt