Kronwall helped off ice after hit
DETROIT -- Detroit Red Wings defenseman Niklas Kronwall was helped off the ice and taken to a hospital after injuring his right hip on a check from the Dallas Stars' Joel Lundqvist just 24 seconds into Friday night's game.
The Red Wings said Kronwall would not return after he was taken to Detroit Medical Center for further tests.
Kronwall was hit from the side and into the end boards by Lundqvist as he stopped behind Detroit's net as he tried retrieve the puck.
Kronwall, who was holding his right leg as he was helped off the ice, has already had a broken leg and major knee surgery during his three-season NHL career.
Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press
MORE NHL HEADLINES
- Pens' Letang cleared to practice after stroke
- Stars-Jackets game rescheduled for April 9
- Flyers beat Penguins for second straight day
- Sharks shrug off Rangers to win 6th straight
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Reebok Soft-Touch Men's Detroit Red Wings Pavel Datsyuk #13 Player Replica Red T-Shirt