Detroit's Schneider will miss rest of postseason
DETROIT -- Red Wings defenseman Mathieu Schneider broke his wrist in the first period of Detroit's Game 5 victory over San Jose on Saturday in the Western Conference semifinals, knocking him out of the remainder of the playoffs.
Schneider, who scored the overtime goal in San Jose on Wednesday night that evened the series at 2, was hurt when checked by Sharks captain Patrick Marleau.
"He's a big part of our game. He's a top-four defenseman who plays a lot of minutes," Red Wings captain Nicklas Lidstrom said. "He's a big part of our power play, so yeah, he'll be missed."
Detroit won 4-1 to take a 3-2 series lead.
Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press
MORE NHL HEADLINES
- Steen, Blues agree to 3-year, $17.4M extension
- Wild put Harding on IR to work on MS meds
- Pens' Engelland suspended 5 games for hit
- Blue Jackets D Prout on IR, out 2-3 weeks
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- GameWear Detroit Red Wings Classic Keychain