Gretzky fined $10K, Boynton suspended one game after altercation
GLENDALE, Ariz. -- The NHL fined Coyotes coach Wayne Gretzky $10,000 on Tuesday and suspended Phoenix defenseman Nick Boynton for a game as a result of an altercation in Monday night's 5-0 loss to the San Jose Sharks.
The suspension is automatic for a player who instigates a fight in the final five minutes of regulation or in overtime. The fine is also automatic under the rule cited by the NHL.
Boynton's fight with the Sharks' Steve Bernier occurred at 15:50 of the third period.
Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press
MORE NHL HEADLINES
- Kunitz, Crosby lead Pens to 6th straight win
- Kings' Jones keeps win streak going vs. Sharks
- Miller lifts Sabres to rare 2-game win streak
- Flyers stun Jackets on Giroux's 2 late goals
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Reebok Men's Phoenix Coyotes White Primary Logo T-Shirt