Sens' Emery leaves game with soreness in right hip
Emery stopped the only shot he faced before leaving with 14:36 left in the period, skating off when Mike Fisher gave the Senators a 2-0 lead and Carolina coach Peter Laviolette called a timeout.
Senators coach John Paddock said he expected Emery would be healthy enough to be Gerber's backup Thursday night at Pittsburgh.
"I was a little bit surprised, but I knew that he wasn't right during the morning skate," Paddock said. "That's why he went off the ice. He had a problem with a sore right hip, and he was worried he was going to do something more serious to it."
Emery was replaced by former Hurricanes goalie Martin Gerber, who stopped the final 31 shots of the Senators' 6-0 victory.
Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press
MORE NHL HEADLINES
- Stars' Peverley out for season after collapse
- GM: Tortorella talk 'rumor and speculation'
- Backlund, Flames bombard struggling Ducks
- Canucks win SO; Kesler hurt, out 'a while'
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Reebok Men's Ottawa Senators Second Season Grey Flex Fit Hat