Niedermayer could play Sunday after being activated by Ducks
Niedermayer had been suspended since the season started while he pondered retirement. The 34-year-old Stanley Cup MVP announced his impending return Dec. 5.
He helped the Ducks win their first Cup championship last season, when he became the first Anaheim player to lead NHL defensemen in scoring with 15 goals and 54 assists during the regular season.
The Ducks traded Andy McDonald to St. Louis on Friday, freeing up enough money under the salary cap to activate Niedermayer. McDonald was in the second year of a three-year, $10 million contract.
Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press
MORE NHL HEADLINES
- Vanek helping authorities in federal probe
- Leafs hire analytics guru Dubas as asst. GM
- Stars agree to four-year deal with Roussel
- Kirilenko ends engagement to Caps' Ovechkin
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Reebok Youth Anaheim Ducks Ryan Getzlaf #15 Black Replica Jersey