Hurricanes place Hedican (sprained right knee) on injured reserve
Hedican, who has two goals and seven assists, hurt his knee in a win over the Bruins on Dec. 28. He hasn't played since.
The 22-year-old Borer is in his first full professional season after completing a four-year career at St. Cloud State of the Western Collegiate Hockey Association. He currently leads Albany defensemen in goals (five), points (14) and power-play goals (four).
He was Carolina's third selection (third round, 69th overall) in the 2004 NHL entry draft.
The Hurricanes host the Atlanta Thrashers on Wednesday.
Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press
MORE NHL HEADLINES
- Struggling Flames fire GM Feaster, assistant
- St. Louis' SO goal delivers Lightning by Wings
- Jackets pounce early, extend Rangers' skid
- Iginla seals it as Bruins hold on vs. Oilers
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Antigua Women's Carolina Hurricanes Traverse Soft Shell Full-Zip Red Jacket