Kovalchuk suspended for hitting Rozsival from behind
NEW YORK -- Atlanta forward Ilya Kovalchuk was suspended for one game without pay by the NHL on Wednesday for a hit from behind on Rangers defenseman Michal Rozsival, keeping the Thrashers star out of the rematch Thursday night in New York.
Kovalchuk was ejected late in the first period Tuesday night after he drove Rozsival into the boards from behind after elbowing him earlier in the Rangers' 4-0 victory. Rozsival was cut and stayed down for a few minutes.
The suspension will cost Kovalchuk $34,224.60, with the money going to the Players' Emergency Assistance Fund.
Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press
MORE NHL HEADLINES
- Canucks' Hansen expected to be OK after hit
- Pouliot scores in debut as Pens top Panthers
- Isles rally late, tally 3 in 3rd to stun Lightning
- Rangers edge Canes on Zuccarello's SO goal
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- G-iii Men's New York Rangers Hockey Overtime Red/blue Hoodie