Kovalchuk suspended for hitting Rozsival from behind
NEW YORK -- Atlanta forward Ilya Kovalchuk was suspended for one game without pay by the NHL on Wednesday for a hit from behind on Rangers defenseman Michal Rozsival, keeping the Thrashers star out of the rematch Thursday night in New York.
Kovalchuk was ejected late in the first period Tuesday night after he drove Rozsival into the boards from behind after elbowing him earlier in the Rangers' 4-0 victory. Rozsival was cut and stayed down for a few minutes.
The suspension will cost Kovalchuk $34,224.60, with the money going to the Players' Emergency Assistance Fund.
Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press
MORE NHL HEADLINES
- Stars' Peverley out for season after collapse
- GM: Tortorella talk 'rumor and speculation'
- Backlund, Flames bombard struggling Ducks
- Canucks win SO; Kesler hurt, out 'a while'
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Gear For Sports Youth New York Rangers Kelly Green Hoodie