Lafleur opts for jury trial on contradictory testimony charge

Updated: February 1, 2008, 2:51 PM ET
Associated Press

MONTREAL -- Guy Lafleur's lawyer says the former NHL star will let a jury decide his fate on accusations he gave contradictory testimony at his son's bail hearing last year.

Lafleur turned himself in to police on Thursday after a warrant was issued for his arrest. He will make his first court appearance on Feb. 7.

Jean-Pierre Rancourt said Friday that he suggested a jury trial for the prominent Quebecer because he feels members of the public would better understand his client's reaction.

Lafleur testified in October that his son was respecting a court-ordered curfew while in his parents' custody.

But the Hall of Famer later admitted he drove his son to hotels to spend the night with his 16-year-old girlfriend.

Lafleur's son, Mark, faces more than 20 criminal charges, including sexually assaulting a minor, armed assault, uttering threats and forcible confinement.

The alleged incidents took place between 2004 and 2007.


Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press

ALSO SEE