MONTREAL -- Hockey great Guy Lafleur pleaded not guilty
Thursday to a charge of giving contradictory testimony at his son's
bail hearing last year.
His lawyer, Jean-Pierre Rancourt, reserved the option of a jury
trial during a brief court appearance. Rancourt entered the plea
for the 56-year-old Lafleur, who was not present.
Lafleur's son, Mark, is in jail facing more than 20 charges,
including sexual assault of a minor and uttering threats.
The former Montreal Canadiens player initially said at a bail
hearing that his son respected a court-ordered curfew while staying
with his parents. But he later admitted driving his son to hotels
so he could spend the night with his 16-year-old girlfriend.
Rancourt said he will return to court March 5 to have a date set
for the preliminary hearing.