Canes' Gleason leaves after suffering head injury in first period
Gleason did not return, and the severity of the injury was not immediately known.
New Jersey center Michael Rupp delivered a hard check to Gleason in one corner of the Devils' attacking zone with 12:53 left in the period, and Gleason appeared to hit the boards face-first.
Rupp was issued a 5-minute penalty for boarding, and later in the period fought Carolina enforcer Wade Brookbank.
Information from The Associated Press contributed to this story.
MORE NHL HEADLINES
- Peverley gets standing ovation at Stars game
- Penguins' Neal diagnosed with concussion
- Backstrom to get silver medal despite drug test
- Lundqvist ties Richter for Rangers' win record
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Antigua Men's Carolina Hurricanes Red Elite Polo