League hands Ott three-game suspension for hit to Leopold's head
No penalty was assessed on the play in the first period of Sunday's game, but the suspension came after a review of the play.
Ott appeared to leave his feet to make the hit on Leopold against the boards, and Leopold left the game with a head injury. Leopold missed the Avalanche's Tuesday game against Atlanta.
Ott will miss Thursday's game at Detroit, as well as games against Vancouver and Anaheim before being eligible to return March 22 against Los Angeles.
Ott forfeits his salary from those three games, amounting to $12,834. The money will go to the NHL players' emergency assistance fund. It is Ott's first career suspension.
Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press
MORE NHL HEADLINES
- Avs goalie Varlamov has charges dropped
- Capitals' Ovechkin scores 400th career goal
- Vanek lifts Islanders past slumping Rangers
- Rinne's recovery from hip infection delayed
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Old Time Hockey Men's Dallas Stars Mitch Kelly Green T-Shirt