Carolina's Whitney to have ankle surgery, expected to miss 2-3 weeks
The Hurricanes announced during the first period of a game at Buffalo on Friday night that Whitney might miss three weeks.
Whitney traveled with the team for its two-game road trip, which opened at Chicago on Wednesday, and will have surgery once the Hurricanes return to Carolina.
Second on the team with 59 points (25 goals, 34 assists), Whitney has missed six games with a sore ankle, the result of an infection from earlier this season. The surgery is required to remove a damaged bursa sac, the team said.
The Southeast Division-leading Hurricanes are already missing captain Rod Brind'Amour, out indefinitely following reconstructive knee surgery last month.
Carolina has nine games remaining after Friday and will finish the regular season at home against Florida on April 4.
Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press
MORE NHL HEADLINES
- Tatar agrees to 3-year deal with Red Wings
- Maple Leafs sign Winnik to 1-year contract
- Brassard, Rangers agree on five-year deal
- Bruins add NHL vet Sacco to coaching staff
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Antigua Women's Carolina Hurricanes Traverse Soft Shell Full-Zip Red Jacket