Lafleur sues over arrest warrant, seeks $3.5 million
MONTREAL -- Hockey Hall of Famer Guy Lafleur is suing Montreal police and Quebec's solicitor general for $3.5 million because of the warrant issued for his arrest earlier this year.
The suit targets Crown prosecutor Lise Archambault, Montreal police officer Francoise Fortin and their respective employers, lawyer Jean-Pierre Rancourt said in an interview Tuesday.
Rancourt said Lafleur's reputation has been tarnished by the decision by authorities to proceed with the arrest warrant instead of a summons.
"He received calls from everywhere in the world," Rancourt said. "People are wondering what he did so bad that he deserved an arrest warrant."
Lafleur, who played 14 of his 17 NHL seasons with the Canadiens, testified at his son's bail hearing last October that Mark Lafleur was respecting a court-ordered curfew while in his parents' custody.
But the six-time 50-goal scorer later admitted he drove his son to hotels to spend the night with his 16-year-old girlfriend.
That prompted authorities to issue the arrest warrant on Jan. 25.
Lafleur is seeking $1.5 million in economic damages, $1.5 million in punitive damages and $500,000 in moral damages.
The Crown has 30 days to appeal.
Lafleur will be represented by another lawyer, Jacques Jeansonne, in the lawsuit.
Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press