Sabres end 29-year affiliation with Rochester, switch to Portland
BUFFALO, N.Y. -- The Buffalo Sabres have a new American Hockey League affiliate after signing a three-year deal with Maine's Portland Pirates on Tuesday.
The Pirates take over after the Sabres ended a 29-year relationship with the Rochester (N.Y.) Americans.
Portland had spent the past three years as the Anaheim Ducks' affiliate.
The Pirates should benefit from the Sabres' recent string of signings. Buffalo has bolstered its minor league depth this offseason by signing several prospects, including forward Nathan Gerbe, who helped Boston College win the NCAA title this past year; Michigan State forward Tim Kennedy; and Swedish goalie Jhonas Enroth, Buffalo's 2006 second-round draft pick.
Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press
MORE NHL HEADLINES
- Iginla's 2 goals give Bruins 8th straight win
- Bishop gets 31st win to set Lightning record
- Canadiens storm back to down Sens in OT
- Read, Flyers shut out short-handed Penguins
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- '47 Brand Women's Buffalo Sabres Playoff Navy T-Shirt