Longtime Kings defenseman Norstrom retires
The 36-year-old Norstrom played 903 career NHL games, most of them in Los Angeles, where was a captain.
Five of Norstrom's seven career playoff points came in this year's trip to the Western Conference finals, the deepest postseason run for Dallas since 2000. The Stars were eliminated in six games by Stanley Cup champion Detroit.
"This wasn't a rash decision by any means, and I'm comfortable with it," Norstrom said Tuesday. "I knew going into the season that this was the last year of my contract, and I didn't want to make a big distraction out of it."
Norstrom spent parts of three seasons with the Rangers before getting traded to the Kings in 1996. After 10 seasons in Los Angeles, Norstrom was acquired by Dallas at the trade deadline in 2007.
He played briefly for a team in his native Sweden during the lockout that wiped out the 2004-05 NHL season.
Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press
MORE NHL HEADLINES
- Avs goalie Varlamov has charges dropped
- Sharks star rookie Hertl likely out a month
- Crosby nets 20th as Pens win 7th straight
- Vermette caps hat trick in OT to lift Coyotes
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Reebok Youth Dallas Stars Jamie Benn #14 Player Replica Kelly Green T-Shirt