Avery to play first game with Wolf Pack
HARTFORD, Conn. -- Forward Sean Avery is expected to play his first game with the Hartford Wolf Pack on Saturday.
The Dallas Stars assigned Avery to the American Hockey League team on Tuesday. A Wolf Pack spokesman said on Friday that the team plans to use him when the New York Rangers' affiliate hosts Manitoba on Saturday night.
Avery hasn't played since the NHL suspended him in December for making a crude remark about other hockey players dating his former girlfriends. He completed treatment in a league counseling program last weekend and cleared waivers Monday.
The Stars are the only NHL team without a primary affiliate and could have sent him to any willing team. They have said Avery won't return to the Stars.
Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press
MORE NHL HEADLINES
- Ducks beat Kings after tying goal waived off
- Iginla's 2 goals give Bruins 8th straight win
- Bishop gets 31st win to set Lightning record
- Canadiens storm back to down Sens in OT
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Old Time Hockey Men's New York Rangers Rick Nash #61 Sawyer Blue Hoodie