Richards will need 10 weeks of rehab
The surgery Friday was on a torn labrum. Last month, he had surgery on his right shoulder.
Richards' shoulders had bothered him since training camp and he used anti-inflammatory medication to manage the pain.
He had 30 goals and 80 points this season in helping the Flyers reach the playoffs.
Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press
MORE NHL HEADLINES
- Ovechkin nets 4 to key Caps to SO victory
- Rangers' Callahan (knee) to miss 4-6 weeks
- Bruins prevail in Iginla's return to Calgary
- Bettman: Players learning how to hit safely
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Concepts Sport Men's Philadelphia Flyers Black/Orange Empire Flannel Pants