Briere set for eye surgery
General manager Paul Holmgren says Briere will have a procedure called photorefractive keratectomy. He will take a few weeks to recover.
Briere says his contact lenses bothered him at times during the season so he elected to have surgery.
Briere had 11 goals and 14 assists in 29 games for the Flyers last season. He sat out 53 games with a groin injury.
The surgery will be performed by Dr. Michael Fung at Wills Eye Hospital in Philadelphia.
Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press
MORE NHL HEADLINES
- Stars' Peverley out for season after collapse
- GM: Tortorella talk 'rumor and speculation'
- Capitals bring back Orlov for two years, $4M
- Backlund, Flames bombard struggling Ducks
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- G-III Men's Philadelphia Flyers Pre Game Orange Half-Zip Pullover Jacket