Cup ratings have highest start since '02
NEW YORK -- Television ratings for the Stanley Cup finals are off to their best start since 2002.
NBC said Tuesday that Games 1 and 2 averaged a 2.8 rating and 5 share. That's up 17 percent from last year, when the first games on the network were Games 3 and 4. Versus showed Games 1 and 2 in 2008; the cable channel is broadcasting Games 3 and 4 this year.
Detroit beat Pittsburgh on Saturday and Sunday.
The rating is the percentage watching a program among homes with TVs. The share is the percentage tuned into the broadcast among those households with TVs on at the time.
Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press
MORE NHL HEADLINES
- Brassard, Rangers agree on five-year deal
- Reimer agrees to two-year deal with Leafs
- Bruins add NHL vet Sacco to coaching staff
- Eller agrees to 4-year deal with Canadiens
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Pittsburgh Penguins Black Lanyard