Chelios wants to play next season
DETROIT -- Chris Chelios has a plan to talk about his future.
The 47-year-old defenseman says he will host a news conference Wednesday morning at Cheli's Chili Bar and Restaurant in Detroit to answer questions just days after the Red Wings confirmed he will not be offered a contract to stay.
Chelios has said he wants to play next season.
He played in six of 23 playoff games this year for the runner-up Red Wings, extending his NHL records by appearing in his 24th postseason and 266th playoff game. He played 28 regular-season games.
Chelios is a three-time Norris Trophy winner as the NHL's top defenseman and 11-time All-Star. The Chicago native and former Blackhawks player won Stanley Cups with Detroit and Montreal.
Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press
MORE NHL HEADLINES
- Ducks beat Kings after tying goal waived off
- Iginla's 2 goals give Bruins 8th straight win
- Bishop gets 31st win to set Lightning record
- Canadiens storm back to down Sens in OT
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Forever Collectibles Detroit Red Wings Winter Classic Jersey Bear