Wild sign 19-year old D Cuma
ST. PAUL, Minn. -- The Minnesota Wild have signed last year's first-round draft pick Tyler Cuma to an entry-level contract.
Cuma's deal was announced Friday. The 6-foot-2, 180-pound defenseman is taking part this week in a prospects camp with other players in the Wild organization. The 19-year-old was the 23rd overall selection last summer, and the native of Toronto has played the past three seasons at the junior level for Ottawa in the Ontario Hockey League.
The Wild already have seven defensemen signed to one-way NHL contracts. If Cuma doesn't make the team out of training camp, his deal will delay and he will return to his junior team.
Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press
MORE NHL HEADLINES
- Brassard, Rangers agree on five-year deal
- Reimer agrees to two-year deal with Leafs
- Bruins add NHL vet Sacco to coaching staff
- Eller agrees to 4-year deal with Canadiens
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- '47 Brand Women's Minnesota Wild Homerun Long Sleeve Green Shirt