Brewer's knee surgery is minor setback
Brewer, the team captain, played only 28 games last season before undergoing surgery in December to repair a herniated disc in his back. He had a second back operation in April.
The team said Thursday that Brewer was expected to be sidelined two to four weeks by the latest surgery, performed in Vancouver. It's unlikely Brewer will be ready in time for the regular season opener Oct. 2.
Brewer had a goal and five assists last season and has two seasons remaining on a four-year, $17 million contract.
Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press
MORE NHL HEADLINES
- Iginla's 2 goals give Bruins 8th straight win
- Bishop gets 31st win to set Lightning record
- Canadiens storm back to down Sens in OT
- Read, Flyers shut out short-handed Penguins
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Trademark Games St. Louis Blues Dart Cabinet