Rangers unsure how long Avery is out
The diagnosis was made during the Rangers' 4-2 preseason victory over the Red Wings on Monday night. Avery was examined by a second doctor -- team physician and orthopedic surgeon Dr. Andrew Feldman -- at Madison Square Garden.
There is no immediate timetable for the agitating forward's return.
"I am not sure how long," Rangers coach John Tortorella said. "It is a sprain so he will be out for a little bit. He will be out for a couple of days."
Avery was seen by Dr. Anthony Maddalo, a team assistant physician, after he collided knee on knee with fellow Rangers forward Ryan Callahan on Monday morning.
Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press
MORE NHL HEADLINES
- Struggling Flames fire GM Feaster, assistant
- St. Louis' SO goal delivers Lightning by Wings
- Jackets pounce early, extend Rangers' skid
- Iginla seals it as Bruins hold on vs. Oilers
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Reebok Men's New York Rangers Center Ice Collection Grey/Red Draft Flexfit Hat