Vanek out with upper body injury
Without providing the exact nature of the injury, Ruff said following the game Tuesday that Vanek will "miss some time" before adding that it's going to be weeks and not days. Vanek did not return after scoring his second goal of the game against Detroit at the 12:46 mark of the second period.
Though Vanek fell awkwardly after snapping in the shot at the right post, Ruff said the player had been hurt earlier in the game. Vanek spent a few moments on the bench wincing in pain before leaving for the locker room.
Vanek is a two-time 40-goal scorer.
Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press
MORE NHL HEADLINES
- Struggling Flames fire GM Feaster, assistant
- Wings' Howard hurts knee; Zetterberg to IR
- Canes' Semin activated from IR after 12 games
- Capitals loan Neuvirth to AHL for conditioning
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Reebok Kids' Buffalo Sabres Team-Colored Flannel Sleeper Pants