Avs' Tucker hit from behind into boards
Ruutu hit Tucker from behind as the right wing tried to play the puck in the Hurricanes' end with 14:34 left in the second period.
Tucker's face hit the glass and he fell on his back on the ice. He lay motionless for several minutes as the Avalanche trainers and doctors attended to him.
Doctors put a neck brace on Tucker and strapped him to a backboard. Tucker appeared to be conscious as he was moved off the ice, revealing a pool of blood where he had been laying for more than 5 minutes. There was no immediate word on his nature of his injury.
Ruutu was assessed major penalty for boarding and a game misconduct.
Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press
MORE NHL HEADLINES
- Stars 'happy' Peverley able to visit practice
- GM: Tortorella talk 'rumor and speculation'
- Capitals bring back Orlov for two years, $4M
- Backlund, Flames bombard struggling Ducks
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- '47 Brand Men's Colorado Avalanche Top Gun Blue T-Shirt