NHL suspends Ruutu 3 games for hit
Ruutu was assessed a major penalty and game misconduct for boarding Tucker at 5:26 of the second period of Friday night's game.
Ruutu will lose $56,067.36 in salary for the suspension, which was announced Saturday. The money goes to the Players' Emergency Assistance Fund.
Ruutu will miss games against Columbus on Saturday, St. Louis on Wednesday and Philadelphia on Oct. 31. He will be eligible to return Nov. 1 against San Jose.
Tucker was taken off the ice on a backboard. The team said he had a concussion but was alert. He was taken to a hospital early Saturday for treatment and evaluation.
Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press
MORE NHL HEADLINES
- Peverley gets standing ovation at Stars game
- Penguins' Neal diagnosed with concussion
- Backstrom to get silver medal despite drug test
- Lundqvist ties Richter for Rangers' win record
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Franklin Carolina Hurricanes Mini Hockey Set