Canes sign veteran goaltender Legace
The Hurricanes lost starting goalie Cam Ward to injury Saturday for at least a month.
Legace, a 10-year NHL veteran with the Los Angeles Kings, Detroit Red Wings and St. Louis Blues, has played six games with the AHL's Chicago Wolves this season, logging 317 minutes while going 2-2-1 with a 3.21 goals-against average.
He last played in the NHL for the Blues last season.
Ward, who was hospitalized after his leg was cut by a skate in a 3-2 loss to the Columbus Blue Jackets, was set to return to Raleigh, N.C., on Monday and be further examined by the team's head orthopedic doctor.
Legace's deal would pay him $105,000 if he is sent to the minors. The 36-year-old has a career NHL record of 177-92-36.
Information from ESPN.com's Pierre LeBrun and The Associated Press was used in this report.
MORE NHL HEADLINES
- Avs goalie Varlamov has charges dropped
- Rinne's recovery from hip infection delayed
- Coyotes' Doan finally able to identify illness
- Jackets activate Gaborik, Wisniewski off IR
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Antigua Men's Carolina Hurricanes Red Succeed Quarter-Zip Jersey Fleece Pullover