Gilroy demoted to AHL
Gilroy, last season's Hobey Baker winner as college player of the year, was the surprising choice to be sent to Hartford of the AHL on Thursday. He is second among NHL rookie defensemen with four goals and is tied for seventh with six points in 30 games.
He has gone four games without a point and was on the ice for both Blackhawks goals in New York's 2-1 overtime loss at Chicago Blackhawks on Wednesday night. The Rangers decided to keep Finnish rookie Ilkka Heikkinen on the roster instead.
The 25-year-old Gilroy, who starred at Boston University, signed a two-year, $3.5 million deal with the Rangers in the spring. His demotion gives New York space under the salary cap.
Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press
MORE NHL HEADLINES
- Pens' Neal banned five for intentional knee
- Malkin scores in return as Pens top Jackets
- Senators' Spezza scores SO winner vs. Flyers
- Penguins place Orpik on IR with concussion
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Antigua Women's New York Rangers Rendition Royal Jacket