Sources: Deal worth $3.5M a year
The deal is worth $3.5 million per year, sources told ESPN.com Tuesday morning.
Re-signing the 22-year-old Letang -- who was scheduled to become a restricted free agent -- was a priority for Pittsburgh because defenseman Sergei Gonchar's contract is running out after this season.
Letang has three goals and 24 assists in 67 games this season.
Letang scored the winner in overtime against Washington in Game 3 of the Eastern Conference semifinals last season, helping the Penguins win the series in seven games.
Information from ESPN.com's Scott Burnside and The Associated Press was used in this report.
MORE NHL HEADLINES
- Iginla gets 2 assists as Bruins top Flames
- Bruins' Thornton appeals 15-game penalty
- Keith, Blackhawks stay hot, top Predators
- Sharks beat Blues to sweep season series
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Zephyr Men's Pittsburgh Penguins Pledge Black Adjustable Hat