Watchdog group supports Ice Edge
PHOENIX -- The proposed agreement between the city of Glendale and a group headed by Chicago sports baron Jerry Reinsdorf for purchase of the Phoenix Coyotes is facing severe criticism from a conservative watchdog group.
Carrie Ann Sitren, attorney at the Goldwater Institute, says Reinsdorf's memorandum of understanding on a revised lease made public on Friday "raises serious legal questions."
On the other hand, she says the memorandum with the other proposed buyer, Ice Edge Holdings, "looks much better."
The Glendale City Council is to vote on both memorandums on Tuesday night. If both are approved, the NHL would decide who would buy the team.
The league purchased the Coyotes in bankruptcy court last year.
Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press
MORE NHL HEADLINES
- Stars' Peverley out for season after collapse
- GM: Tortorella talk 'rumor and speculation'
- Capitals bring back Orlov for two years, $4M
- Backlund, Flames bombard struggling Ducks
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Antigua Men's Phoenix Coyotes Discover Black Half-Zip Pullover Jacket